Saturday, January 16, 2016

Is there a map?

My Israeli sim card from Cellcom was too large for my Galaxy S5 phone. A friend told me that cell phone stores can clip the sim cards to fit different phones. Neither Cellcom's website nor google maps was helpful in identifying a Cellcom location, so I went to the Ayalon Mall, which I assumed would have an outlet. Seeing no map at the entrance, I approached a woman at a nearby kiosk.

Me: Excuse me, is there a map?
Woman: Where do you want to go?
M: Is there a Cellcom store?
[She points to her right.]
W: Go all the way to the end of this wing, it will be on your left.

I felt this interaction was pretty typical of my experience in Israel. I often don't know how to do something or where to find something, but usually there's a person around who can help if I ask. On one hand, it's nice that somebody is there who is willing and able to help. On the other hand, why can't there just be a map?

No comments: