Tuesday, June 22, 2010

beit ben gurion, palmach, ha'apalah

Yesterday I went to two museums. David Ben Gurion's house in Tel Aviv and the Palmach Museum. There's not much to see at Beit Ben Gurion, but its free and in central Tel Aviv. Ben Gurion amassed a huge library in Tel Aviv and also in his other house in Sde Boker, which makes me want to read more books.

The Palmach Museum is a very unusual museum. Its sort of like watching a movie from the set where it was filmed, and moving to a new scene every 5 or 10 minutes. Well worth the visit. Makes me want to be a soldier. (But not really.)

I'm also reading a book about illegal immigration from Europe between 1945 and 1948 (Aliyah Bet or Ha'apalah). Its a first-hand, journalistic account by I.F. Stone called Underground to Palestine. Very good so far.

No comments: