Thursday, October 29, 2009

breathalyzer and more misrad hapnim

On Friday night I had dinner with a bunch of friends in Hadera. As I was driving back to Ramat Gan, I got flagged down by another police officer for no reason. He made me take a breathalyzer test, my first ever, which I of course passed. The police officer told me that a foreign drivers license is only good for a month and a half, and that I was therefore driving illegally, despite a clear statement to the contrary on this government website.

In Israel, it is a custom to argue with police officers. I let the other people in the car with me fulfill this obligation, and we went on our way.

I went back to the Interior Ministry this week to change my visa type. I now have a multiple entry worker visa good through July. Cost: 160 NIS. New rule: any day that you get what you want from misrad hapnim in less than 2 hours is a good day. (Tip: always bring extra passport sized photos with you.)

When I boarded a sherut from Herzliya to Afula this week, there was only one empty seat, next to a young religious woman who refused to allow me to sit, presumably because it is her custom not to touch men. It was an awkward situation until another woman switched seats with her so I could sit.

No comments: