Wednesday, August 5, 2009

running in tel aviv

I just returned from a run along the Tel Aviv beach boardwalk. This is the first time I have exercised per se in Israel, but it seems like being hot and sweating all day should count for something. It is humid here but I think DC is much more humid. The heat in DC is oppressive. The heat in Tel Aviv is scorching. On the whole I think scorching is not as unpleasant as oppressive, but in Tel Aviv I spend much more time outside (or in poorly air conditioned buildings).

Running through the Florentin neighborhood in Tel Aviv is different than running through Columbia Heights in DC. In Florentin, I jump over cats and piles of empty boxes. In Columbia Heights, I weave around garbage cans and parking meters. In Florentin, I dodge water dripping from air conditioners.

Speaking of which, I've heard that potable water is scarce in Israel, but I've never heard about a problem with electricity. Maybe air conditioners can be cranked up to harvest more of the humidity, and the resulting water can be collected and used (which would also eliminate one of my street obstacles).

Anyways, yesterday I visited Yonah on Moshav Nordiya near Netanya. Yonah is on the staff of MBI, Habonim Dror's five-week summer program for 16 year olds.

In ulpan today I learned the future tense. In English, there is no future tense. One just says "will" to indicate the future, as in "I will eat." In Hebrew just one word, conjugated appropriately, means "I will eat" (future - atid) or "I ate" (past - avar) or "I am eating" (present - hoveh). I will post again soon.

No comments: