Saturday, July 25, 2009

getting settled

I am typing on my laptop in my friend's apartment on Zvulun Street in Florentin, which is near Tel Aviv's central bus station. I arrived on Tuesday (July 21) and I will begin taking Hebrew classes at Ulpan Akiva in Netanya on Monday.

On Wednesday I bought a cell phone for 300 NIS and a sim card with 200 pay-as-you-go minutes for 200 NIS. The number is 054-901-0850 (dial +011-972-54-901-0850 from the US), and I'm on the Orange network. Even though I was only without a cell phone for one day, I felt like getting one was an emergency. I think the fact that I was moving around so much -- from the airport to a friend in Ramat Gan to a friend in Florentin -- made my inability to communicate more frustrating.

On Thursday the Jewish Agency officially recognized that I am Jewish. I went to the office (at 99 Hachashmonaim) and presented my passport, a letter from my rabbi and a letter from my employer. The Jewish Agency's recognition is important for facilitating my acquisition of a work visa. I entered the country on a tourist visa, which is good for three months. Tomorrow I'll go to the misrad hapanim (Interior Ministry) and hopefully get the actual work visa.

As long as I am taking classes in Netanya, I need to be in the Tel Aviv area. The lodging offered by Ulpan Akiva is grossly overpriced, so I'm planning to crash with friends in Tel Aviv and Herzliya for at least the next four weeks.

No comments: